Marion Rotary Club’s R.T. Lewis Scholarship Non-Endowed Fund
The Marion Rotary Club R.T. Lewis Scholarship migrated to Marion Community Foundation in 2017. It honors the late R.T. Lewis and provides financial support for Marion County graduating seniors pursuing an education in business, management, land development, real estate, or who will be attending the Marion Campus of The Ohio State University.
Born in 1877, R.T. Lewis became known as “Mr. Marion” for his grocery business, downtown and land development, and philanthropic efforts. In 1957, as Ohio State University began offering classes in Marion, he was among the first to create student scholarships. He also supported the YMCA and the Palace Theatre. He was among the 23 charter members of the Marion Rotary Club when it was formed in 1922 under the leadership of Fred Guthery, the first president. The Marion Rotary Club, along with the Marion Rotary Foundation which R.T. helped start, was incorporated in 1959 and has contributed to many organizations and scholarships over the years. Rotary honored Lewis’ contributions with the creation of the R.T. Lewis Fellowship, which recognizes members who contribute $1,000+ to the Marion Rotary Foundation