Dorothy Ellen Thew, a lifelong member of the Marion community, left, as part of her legacy, a gift to create three scholarship funds at Marion Community Foundation. Dorothy, a noteworthy person in her own right, designated that three scholarship funds be created from her estate to honor beloved members of her family. The Helen M. Thew Memorial Scholarship honors her sister’s love of music and dedication to education.
Well educated, Dorothy was a 1936 graduate of Marion Harding High School and attended Hunter College, and Indiana, East Carolina, and Toledo universities. She enlisted in the U.S. Navy Waves in 1943 and had a naval career which spanned 30 years. Dorothy worked at the selective service board from 1943-1955 and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Marion Depot until its closing in 1961. She retired from the Columbus Defense Supply Center in 1979.
Her civic involvements mirrored her military career. She was a lifetime member of the American Legion and a Plank-Owner of the Navy Lone Sailor Memorial Association and Fleet Reserve Association, as well as the National Association of Retired Federal Employees, American Association for Retired Persons, the American and Marion County Historical societies, Marion Senior Citizens and Central Christian Church of Marion.